Wednesday, January 3, 2007

You mean I don't know Dick?

One of my dream library programs would be a Philip K. Dick film/book festival. I think we've now reached critical mass of worthwhile Dick films. Were I to plan a Dick film series, I would include:

  • A Scanner Darkly
  • Blade Runner
  • Minority Report
...and if I wanted to get into "guilty pleasure" territory:
  • Total Recall
I'd most likely take a pass on:
  • Paycheck
  • Impostor
And films I haven't seen include:
  • Confessions d'un Barjo
  • Screamers
  • The Gospel According to Philip K. Dick [documentary]
The thing that prompts me is seeing the recent video release of A Scanner Darkly, which was both well done and appropriately disturbing. Director Richard Linklater's approach of rotoscoping live actors and producing a photorealistic animated film is uniquely appropriate to Dick's surrealistic story-telling. Linklater smoothly layers multiple realities, leaving the viewer to question the differences between reality and perception. Characteristic themes of drugs and paranoia get worthwhile and serious treatment from start to finish. A difficult but worthwhile film, and Robert Downey Jr. is a standout in an excellent cast.
There's also the forthcoming major release of Next, based on "The Golden Man" story. Now if somebody would just film The Man in the High Castle, and if I could just figure out how to get enough of a decent audience to a Dick film series at the library...

0 comments: